Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sweater Pumpkins!

I had a sad, sad sweater, she's been sitting in the back of my winter drawer for an incalculable amount of time.
This is her before picture, covered in pills and pathetically downtrodden:

Four steps later she is now two fun pumpkin decorations!

Step 1: Cut off sleeves of sweater up to the elbow.

Step 2: Turn sleeves inside out and sew the cut end together in a gather:

Step 3: Stuff the sleeves with either the leftover sweater or filler until they are a nice round pumpkin shape, leaving about 2-3 inches at the top by the wristband. I used the leftover sweater for two reasons. The first being that I couldn't wear that thing out in public again, the second being that I could stretch the sweater material really far without showing my filling since it's all the same color.

Step 4: Twist the wristband up and tie off with twine, then wrap the twine around creating a pattern of grooves on the pumpkin.

Viola:


I love the way these look on the once empty shelf in my kitchen, and they are "fall neutral" enough that they can stay up through Thanksgiving.

Happy Crafting!

No comments: