Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Alphabet Soup

Ok, so I unfortunately don't have my camera down the Cape with me at my grandfather's house so I can't do a picture of this...but if we have leftovers I will take one later to try to give a visual.
I made tomato soup tonight, super easy:
Sautee half an onion and 2 cloves of garlic in 2 tablespoons of butter.
Add 1 large can of diced tomatoes, 1 small can of tomato paste and 1 quart of vegetable stock.
Bring to a boil, let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Done.
I use a hand held blender to make it smooth because my daughter won't eat it if she sees chunks of tomato. She's on of those kids who eats with her eyes.
Tonight I decided to add some alphabet pasta to the soup to make it a little fun for her.
Wow.
Apparently I have never cooked with this stuff, though I have very fond memories of alphabet in my chicken soup as a kid.
I poured in about 1/3 of the box, and it basically took over the soup. It was huge, and unwieldy, and impossible to get a bit of soup without Supercalafragilistic in it.
I mean, it was still good soup, but it was way heavier on the pasta than I intended.
Any tips???

No comments: