Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Peppermint Chocolate Filled Cupcakes

Peppermint Chocolate Filled Cupcakes: An Andes mint in a pretty little wrapper!
I made these 11 days ago for my lovely friend's 30th birthday.
I can't believe I haven't posted about them yet!

To start with I did something that I NEVER do (mostly because I had limited time, and also because it had been a long week and my baking motivation was hovering around a 3 on a scale of 10) I used boxed chocolate cake mix.
Please continue reading, I know, I know, it was a horrible thing to do.

So, of course I had to snazz the cake mix up! I lined and filled 24 cupcake tins.
Put them in to bake per the directions on the box (shudder) but then I added the secret ingredient!
After 5 minutes in the oven I pulled them out and added a Mint Truffle Hershey Kiss to each one.
They immediately started to sink below the surface and it looked amazing!
Please ignore the cake batter splashes on the muffin tray, as I said in an earlier post I don't photoshop, I show it like it is! Dirty pan and all.

Then I topped these delectable goodies with a homemade peppermint buttercream frosting, insanely easy to make:
In a mixer combine:
1 stick of softened butter
3.5 cups of powdered sugar
3 Tbsp milk (preferably whole)
1 tsp peppermint extract
5 drops of yellow food coloring, 1 drop of blue food coloring (optional)

Voila! Peppermint Chocolate Filled Cupcakes!

I totally made a rookie mistake here and forgot to cut on in half and take a picture of the Hershey Kiss floating in the middle. It was glorious!
Next time (and there definitely will be a next time) I'm making these with caramel Kisses dropped in the middle and a dulce de leche frosting. Drool.

No comments: