Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tuna Buna Burgers with lemon basil mayo

In our house we have one rule with our 2.5 year old at dinner time, you don't have to like it but you do have to try it.
We are not a "clean your plate" house, because I feel like that is detrimental to children learning their own bodies, if my child is full I don't want her to keep eating. I want her to understand that when she's full, she should put her fork down and say "I'm done".
That said, encouraging trying new foods often starts with a fun name, which should always involve rhyming. These are Tuna Buna Burgers, and every time my husband makes them they are scarfed down, by all of us!

So to give credit where credit is due, my husband totally made these up, here is his recipe followed by the mayo recipe I use to top them:
In a bowl combine:
2 cans of tuna, drained
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup of breadcrumbs (Italian seasoned or panko, both will work)
1/2 tablespoon of coriander
Dash of salt and pepper for taste

Shape in to 4 patties, cook over medium/high heat in a sautee pan. Cover the pan with a lid or in our house we get extra fancy and use a cookie sheet, to trap the heat in. Turn after 5 minutes, cook for another 5 minutes. This should give them a nice brown crust, but remember everyone's stovetop heat is different so the first time you may want to check them after 3-4 minutes to make sure you don't over cook.

Lemon Basil Mayo:
In a small food processor combine 10 basil leaves, 1/4 cup of mayo, juice of 1/2 a lemon and a splash of red wine vinegar. You can also just mix all this in a bowl if you chop the holy-heck out of the basil. Or maybe that's just my preference since chewing through a leaf in my condiment pisses me off.

Serve on whole wheat English muffins with sliced tomatoes.

I did these tonight with oven fries. Just wash and slice 2 potatoes, toss with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, spread on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt and bake on the bottom rack at 425 for 12 minutes.
And of course, they were served with a side of broccoli, which my daughter was obsessed with dipping in the mayo.
Enjoy!

No comments: